So, the instructions on the LuaEclipse main site won’t work for the latest Eclipse and I had many errors last time. Today, I finally got LuaEclipse 1.3.1 set up and running now. Here are the steps:
- install lua and luarocks from MacPorts (sudo port install lua luarocks)
- install LuaProfiler using luarocks (luarocks install luaprofiler)
- download and install Eclipse 3.4.2, this version works with current LuaEclipse release
- install LuaEclipse 1.3.1 from the update site, note that the official LuaEclipse installation guide only shows update site for 1.0 and 1.2. You need to use this update site: http://luaeclipse.luaforge.net/preview/update-site/macosx.carbon/, for other OS, you can use the update sites found from here
- configure LuaEclipse through Eclipse Preferences > Lua, add Lua Interpreter (point it to /opt/local/bin/lua) and Lua Profiler (point it to /opt/local/var/luarocks/lib/5.1/profiler.so)
- all set, you can create a new Lua project and start writing Lua and debugging, profiling it…
Interestingly, LuaEclipse developers have started working on LuaEclipse 2. Here is the installation instruction and the main site on GitHub.